That is what Doc Sorenson explained to me yesterday. It was a mixture of good news, bad news, and news I knew about but didn’t want to hear.Good news is that Achilles’ aches and pains can be easily treated with doggie versions of pain meds, kind of like over the counter stuff we humans use. I just have to give it to him every day now, whereas before I didn’t give it to him at all, which I think that for an almost 15 year old dog is pretty remarkable, but then again, he is a remarkable warrior. God bless that little precious one.
The other good news is that since A-man’s last round of tests in January, his atypical Cushings disease has stayed relatively stable, so that means the Enalypril, ¼ baby aspirin (which is pain in the ass to cut every day!), melatonin, and flaxseed is working. Most of it is natural stuff and that makes me happy. There was talk last year of treating his Cushings with some pretty strong stuff (Trilostane), but we opted not to given his age and the horrendous side effects that the drug has. So, I’m very relieved that what we’re doing for him now is good enough and he’s comfortable.
Bad news is that Achilles’ kidneys are beginning to show signs of deterioration. Doc said that for a dog his age and size, they’re still doing very, very well, but it is the beginning of kidney disease that was causing him aches and pains and keeping him up at night. Interesting little fact I didn’t know before…people with kidney disease have horrendous body aches akin to a really bad flu, but science hasn’t been able to figure out how or why that happens.
Well, my Golden baby was essentially going through the same thing, just not that awful yet, so I’m glad we learned about it as fast as we did. The Tramadol has made a WORLD of difference in his daily life. He’s sleeping well, his appetite is back, and he is not in pain. His quality of life has returned, and for that I am grateful. Doc compared it to us having a bad headache, taking some Advil, and slowly feeling the pain alleviate. I’m glad he’s feeling that. He’s back to stalking Milo’s food bowl!
And speaking of food, given the kidney disease, Achilles needs to be on a good renal diet from here on out. I’ve always supplemented our puppies’ kibble with homemade, fresh food, but now it looks like that will be ALL that he’ll be getting since he’s not down with kibble anymore! Chicken with rice and veggies, scrambled eggs with pasta, and a host of other Achilles’ favorites, will be the order of the day. Let me tell you, he is NOT complaining. Ha! He’s been a hungry-hungry-hippo the last couple of days, and I’m so happy to see that again.
The news I knew but didn’t want to hear…..my little Sweetface, mama’s little pigeon-toed Golden baby, most likely has about 3 to 6 moths left before his kidney disease will become unbearable. It is a horrible and difficult decision to have to say goodbye to our pets, but now I know what we have in store for us. 3 to 6 months is better than this weekend, which is when I was afraid was going to be the end. But, Achilles being the Mighty Warrior that he is will live to battle on!
This August will be 2 years (wow, can’t believe that) that we’ve had Achilles and Milo. So that means that even now, Achilles has hung around longer than Nick did when we rescued him. We rescued Nick in November 2005 and he was 12 ½ years old. He gave us 20 beautiful months before the fucking cancer took him from us. Achilles has now been with us 21 months.
It is said that Golden Retrievers past the ages of 10 to 12 are “past their expiration” for dogs their size. So each and every moment past that age is a blessing for the dog owners. This means that when we adopted Achilles he was already past his expiration, and I am ever so grateful that we are going to have more time with the precious furbaby.
I continue to be beyond impressed and amazed with this dog’s spirit. I’m telling you, every time we’ve thought that he was going to be counted out, he’s rallied and come back.
I will say this though….we may be able to prepare for Achilles leaving our world, but I sure as hell do not know how the hell I’m going be ready for poor Milo’s reaction. It’s amazing that two dogs who never knew each other before coming to our home are so bonded. It is very special. Milo didn’t leave Achilles’ side on Monday evening. You should have seen him barking when Achilles finally stood up after the Tramadol took effect. I think he was barking happy-happy-joy-joy! He is our adorable goofball.
Da Golden Unit (or as we call them in the 'hood, Da G-Unit), they like to do everything together. It will most certainly be very difficult for our Milo Bear when Achilles' time comes. :-( Oh God, I'm crying now.....I'm moving on to pictures then....
They sleep together-
Get pissed off at the closed screen door together-
Go on morning walks with papa bear-





14 comments:
I know how awful this must be for you. How lucky for Achilles and for you and Ed that he came to your house. He is a love and I am sure that whatever time is left will be enjoyed by all. Sending our best wishes for a happy time to be had by all. Thinking of you :)
Amanda and Princess P
This is heartbreaking. I hate that he is sick. I can't imagine how you guys feel...and poor Milo Boy too. :( ugghhh.
I suppose the blessing is he has had a long life for such a big boy. And the last few years have been so much for him with his wonderful family. Who else would buy a dogmobile? Only YOU!
Boxers don't usually have long life spans either....8-10 years. Such a shame.
Hugs to you all....take care my friend,
Suz
I think Achilles still has a lot of life left in him, beyond what the vets are saying. Here's what's worked for me, as Sadie has arthritis and the beginnings of kidney disease. Sadie has done very well with the Tramadol, I think it's much safer than an NSAID.
You might want to check into putting him on an antibiotic for the rest of his life. It helps ease all the work the kidneys are put through. Sadie takes Orbax. You can do 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. High protein diets are also supposed to be harder on their kidneys. I've switched Sadie to Wellness Core as it is more grain based.
All the animals here at my zoo send their wishes for a longer time ahead.
Sweet Friend,
I so wish you were close so I could drive over there and give you a big hug. And give Achilles big hug. And give Milo a big hug.
Although the news is definitely a "mixed bag", I am very thankful that you have 3 - 6 months to prepare.
Achilles has been SO blessed to have you and Ed for his family... what a lucky, lucky boy!
Blessings & Peace to you, my sweet friend. You are truly a lion-hearted woman.
I'm so glad you have some extra time with your baby. If I could physically do a back flip, I would. Every moment is precious, isn't it?
I hope to see you all again soon!
Warm hugs to you all!
You are a special person to take in animals in their waning years. What you do is truly rescue work. I admire that. Your sweet boys are very lucky to have you as their human Mom.
Thank you for telling us. I'm relieved that he's not in imminent danger, but...it's still hard news.
I will keep you & your boys in my thoughts.
Love all of the photos! XO
All I have to say is, it's a real good thing I read this post BEFORE putting on eye makeup. F*cking tears streaming right now. Both of joy and of the inevitable decision that you will both have to come to terms with at some point. It makes my stomach gnarl up just thinking about that right now but since he is OK and doing well for now we will focus on the good and not worry about months down the line.
I find it funny when you say that Achilles has always bounced back from his medical issues. Umm, do you have ANY clue as to why this is????? It's because he now has the BEST F*CKING LIFE of any dog that's ever roamed this planet! Milo too. They both will hang on for as long as they possibly can and no one could ever blame them.
The kidney issues are scary. One thing that has helped Chumley is Val-syrup. It can be used on cats, dogs, horses, basically any beast. I will try and find my link and post on here for you. Not sure what exactly it does but my vet in CA recommended for Chum when he was in kidney failure and it has helped tremendously. His coat was so dry and patchy and he was losing hair on his ears and after about a week of the val-sryup he started to look better and had more energy. I order a big bottle on Amazon because getting it from the vet is so expensive.LEt me look for the link and send to you now.
Ok here's the link to the Val Syrup stuff
http://tlc-smileygirl.blogspot.com/2008/11/vets-will-hate-me-for-this.html
Also, what Live for Today suggested is a really good idea. She said the same thing to me about Chum when he was REALLY sick a few months ago and low and behold that's what the vet thought as well. When he starts to show signs of kidney issues I am supposed to put him on antibiotics, sometimes it may be for a month, 2 weeks or just 5 days depending on the severity. So that may be an option if Achilles can handle the antibiotics. Also you could give the Val-syrup stuff to Milo too as just a daily vitamin. May want to check with your vet beforehand (for both of them) just to make sure it's ok based on other meds they are taking but according to my vet in CA it's completely safe. Just like a multi vitamin we would take daily.
I miss the sweet face boys so much when I see their pics. And I miss you too. :(
I'm wishing you MONTHS more with Achilles, and as painless an adjustment as possible for Milo (and you humans as well) when the time comes. Having just experienced the last days of a beloved dog, I know much of what you are going through and as far as I know there is no easy path. We just counted each day and hour as a gift.
Hello everyone!
Wow, thank you for all the great advice.
LFT, I'll defintely talk to my vet about Orbax. I didn't even think about that, but it certainly makes sense!
Smileygirl, I'll ask about the Val Syrup as well. We see our vet tomorrow morning. All this info gives me hope for Achilles. Thank you!!!
Margaret, HWHL, Amanda, Sue & Sue, Karen, Ben, and everyone who has emailed/commmented/texted...thank you as well for your prayers and thoughts and supportive well-wishes. You've helped make this entire process bearable.
I hope you all have a great weekend!!!
How is that sweet boy today? Is he enjoying his extra delicious home-made food? :)
You know, he and Milo BOTH really hit the "Doggie Lotto" when they arrived on your doorstep!
I must say, I laughed out loud about your comment on my blog about the "wipes" for my co-worker. Yes, I'm thinking of a discreet bottle of FDS placed SMACK in the middle of her desk.
(Sadly, I found out she is a 39 year old VIRGIN, which might explain some things.... )
Anyway, back to the golden boys. Hope they (and you and Ed) have a LOVELY weekend.
Diva and Ruby send slobbery kisses to their West Coast boyfriends!
I'm glad you didn't have to say goodbye to Achilles this weekend. I've been thinking about you all. Your dogs are the sweetest looking boys I've ever seen and you and Ed are such good dog-parents to them. Without a doubt there's not a momma and papa who love their pups as much as you do. It's so awful to think about losing either of my dogs, so I was saying positives for you the last several days hoping things would turn out ok.
Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with your entire family. It is truly a blessing to be loved by a Golden.
Post a Comment