It is hard to believe that last Monday evening Achilles could not stand up on his own, let alone remain standing without falling over like a BAG OF BRICKS. Vestibular disorders can strike any of us, man or animal. It is an inner ear disorder that affects balance and muscle control. There are websites and support groups all over the world for vestibular disorders.
In an animal it is especially frightening to witness. Your heart sinks with dread because you think you may be witnessing their last days here on earth, and that an awful decision will have to be made. Thank goodness that isn’t the case though!
Knowledge, stories from friends about their experiences, and medical advancements have allowed us to identify the symptoms, help our furbabies cope with them, and then keep them company on their road to recovery.
Speaking of friends, our Sweetfaced Achilles certainly would NOT have progressed as well as he has without Lynne & Amos, their beloved More Mommy & Daddy. Ed and I would have had to take time off from work to be with Achilles if it weren't for them, or just leave him at home alone until we could rush back. For the first week or so, he couldn’t even flip himself over from one side to the other while sleeping, so that meant he would have had to lie on that one side for 8+ hours straight until we would have arrived home from work. Even after a couple of hours in one position, he’d be stiff and it would seem as if he’s suffered some mild atrophy.
But, being @ "Doggie Disneyland" (Lynne’s house!!!) every day, we were comforted to know that beloved friends are with Achilles every moment, they would help him get up and carry him out to pee, massage him, or simply flip him over throughout the day so he wouldn’t get too sore on one side.
His antibiotics and meds, water, food, pee-pee duty, and poo cleanin’ duties, were all handled by our golden angels until we got home from work. On top of all of that, both of our two-legged golden angels are working professionals who run a brisk business from their home office. So, in the midst of their hectic days, they’d take the time to love and care for our four-legged golden angels.
Lynne, having been a mommy to Goldens [she’s also a mommy to one very special girl, Katie Magoo, who will be the “Devil with the Blue Dress” at her senior prom on May 17th!] just knew that I’d be anxious about how Achilles is faring. Throughout the work days, she’d email me updates and little snapshots of what Achilles & Milo were up to. I absolutely treasure those emails.
I told Lynne that I was watching my sweetfaced Achilles sleeping the other night, and I was thinking that Nick, Macky, PJ, and all of the animals we have all loved and lost in our lives, simply MUST be with Achilles and within him in spirit. We had our beloved animals in our lives and forever will carry their beautiful memories. And now, we physically give of ourselves to Achilles and Milo. There is just no way that the spirits of our past beloved furbeasts don't filter through to Achilles with our every touch and our love. It’s like osmosis and I’m sure that our animals can sense it.
When Lynne emailed me that Achilles had actually stood up on his own and WALKED over to her, I felt as if I had missed my child’s first baby steps!!! Lynne and I are both so excited and giddy, and so very proud of our Mighty Achilles. Lynne has a beautiful way with words and tells fine stories. I want to share some of her emails with Blogistan. They made me laugh, they brought me comfort. I am ever grateful and ever in love with my Leggs Lynney. So, please indulge me in the cut-and-paste email novel of the “Adventures of Vestibular Achilles”.
Happy Reading!
April 22, 2008 11:05 AM
Subject: Achilles & Milo & Mija [their “girlfriend” tiny Golden from across the street]
The threesome are having a good day. Achilles has been holding his head up and willingly walked from the dining room, out onto the back deck, and then into his favorite napping place next to the bed. Milo led him along with his tail wagging in Achilles' face. Such teamwork.
*********************
April 24, 2008 9:41 AM
Subject: Mighty Achilles
Our old dog is making an amazing comeback. He ate breakfast with the same gusto we've come to expect from our Achilles, then walked into the backyard (slight assist from the sling) to sniff the squirrel burrow spot with Milo and Mija -- just one of the pack. Now all three pups are napping. I'm sure Ed told you that this morning Achilles powered up the hill from the car to the dining room in a most impressive way. His determination and pride are in full display.
*********************
April 24, 2008 12:18 PM
Subject: Up and at ‘em
I was at my computer when I heard a kerplunk upstairs. Upon investigation, I discovered Mr. Achilles had risen from his blanket in the dining room and made his way (a few steps) toward the doors to the deck. I helped him up with the sling, he drank heartily from the water bowl (I guess his thirst got him up), and then he proceeded toward my bedroom door to settle in his favorite nap place for the afternoon. He's really coming along. I'm so proud of him.
*********************
April 24, 2008 1:03 PM
Subject: Fwd: Up and at 'em
He's on the move again: I was in the living room having lunch. Suddenly Achilles appeared in the hall. The slippery floor got him but with Milo barking encouragement, he was quickly back on his paws and then tooled around the backyard, peeing, sniffing, and finally drinking from his bowl. I was hovering above him with the sling but his speed was propelling forward and I was just guarding against a fall. His sitting down on his blanket in the living room was pretty graceful; that seems to be the hardest part. He’s almost back.
*********************
April 24, 2008 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: Up and at ‘em
OK, now he's just showing off.
We were all in the living room for a group nap: me in my beanbags, Milo to my left, Achilles on his blanket, Mija on the sofa. Quiet slumbering all around. I heard heavy breathing, opened my eyes and saw Achilles standing; he turned in circles a couple of times, then sat down for a moment. Then, back on his feet again, turned toward the sofa, walked between the sofa and coffee table, toward the clearing on the carpet next to my bean bags, where he circled around a time or two before setting himself down. Well done, Achilles! Congratulations, Achilles! We love you, Achilles!
I am so happy for him. Milo snored through these feats of self-control. Mija jumped down and trotted over to lend her support.
Looks like Achilles' vestibular vacation is over: he's rested and ready to get back at everything. Which, at the moment, means off to dreamland.
*********************
April 24, 2008 4:35 PM
Subject: Re: Up and at ‘em
It just feels like a miracle to see a dog pull through this vestibular fog. Was it Monday that I described him as so depressed? I can't remember, maybe it was Tuesday. But in the back of my mind on that day I thought, it's always darkest before the dawn. I think Achilles was bummed because he was well enough to want to do more than he was physically capable of at that moment and his strength of spirit pulled him through. He never gave up. He's an inspiration to me….the acts I describe are heroic, as one would expect from a dog named Achilles. I love him and I love Milo. They are a great comfort to me…..as the dogs in my life have always been.
**********************
April 25, 2008 11:50 AM
Subject: Full Steam Ahead
Achilles continues to impress.
I was at my computer working when I heard the clickety-click of someone's nails on the wood floor upstairs. Just wanting to be careful to protect Achilles from injury should be push himself too far too fast, I went to investigate. Sure enough, he was out the door at the water bowl. From there, he wandered over to the "citrus grove" to
pee, then back to the compost area to meet up with brother Milo.
Sniff, sniff, sniff all along the way. Back to the water bowl for another refreshment, then he settled down in the doorway to enjoy the breezes during his noon-time nap. Well done, Achilles!
The sling never made it off the living room floor. I trailed close by, because that's just the way I am, but Achilles would have been fine without me. He does wobble a bit, as though he's spent too much time at happy hour, but that will improve with each passing day.
********************
2 comments:
His determination has tears streaming down my face! And how sweet of Lynn to keep you updated on his status, and be there for him just in case he gets wobbly.
I'm with ya Mindy!! Tears are pinging my keyboard too. Though I'm crying because I'm sad I don't have neighbors like Lynne and Amos!! I absolutely adore these people having never met them. When I read sweet stories like this it warms my heart to know there are people like them in this world. I can't wait to meet them one day.
I'm so proud of Achilles progress. Such a furry little beast of inspiration for us all.
Post a Comment