Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Monday Morning With Da Kids

I like to wake up early in the morning. But, whether I like it or not, having dogs means that more often than not, I HAVE to get up early in the morning. After all, the break of dawn is the best time for a banana, didn't you know?

That's how Laverne & Shirley roll. I am "gently" paw-slapped awake from my slumber, always by Shirley. I feel her whiskers tickling my chin as she nuzzles my neck, and hear her tail thumping madly against the wall/bed/table. That thumping brings Battleship Lavernicus out of dreamland, so she trots over to my side of the bed too. And so it begins....

I stumble to the other side of the house, open the back door, go in the kitchen, peel a banana, L & S sit (automatically), share the banana, I wash my hands, and they run out back to go potty. (Milo is still sleeping in our bedroom, oblivious to his sisters' shenanigans.)

Here is where Laverne & Shirley part at the fork in the road. Shirley will trot back to our bedroom on other side of the house and promptly fall asleep again in her warm spot. I make some tea or coffee, turn on the news, while Laverne patiently waits for me, following my every move.

Then, I settle in on the couch in the family room and read or watch the news. Laverne curls up at my feet while I'm on the couch, and as I massage her she falls asleep. It melts my heart when I see her curled up like a widdle, widdle baby. So much so that I grab the camera---
I am in absolute love with her chunky fat cat paws.
Seriously, when my doggies are sleeping like this, I want to gobble them up. Their cuteness is just too much for me. Just. Too. Much. She looks like an infant!
Pretty soon, the sound of the news brings Milo D. Bear out to the family room. Since Vernie is hogging up all the space by my couch, he just makes himself comfortable against the sofa. It is his favorite spot in the house. He falls asleep again, promptly. Keep in mind it is just before 6 a.m. at this point.
A few minutes later, guess who shows up? Yup. The Bird herself. She trots out, sees that her brother and sister have beaten her to the party, so she tries to squeeze in behind Vernie trying to reach me. I tell her "no" gently because I don't want her to wake the Battleship.
So, Shirley Bug reluctanly lies down on the other side, but her velvety brown eyes melt my heart. Now, I feel bad. But, if I'm very, very quiet, and move very, very slow, I can sit on the floor and give Shirley Pie some Mommy Massage time.
Shirley is not happy. Can you tell?
Success. I was able to carefully make my way to the floor without waking Milo or Laverne. You see, once they're all up, they ALL want petting & love & attention at the SAME time. It gets to be a madhouse, honestly.

Anyway, Shirley promptly crawls over to me and puts her head on my leg, and the massage begins.
Pretty soon, my leg falls asleep, so I transfer her pretty little head to papa's pillow. That pillow case is part of Ed's "big boy" sheet set from childhood. He's had it for over 35 years. Shirley falls asleep on her papa's pillow as I continue her massage time.
This lasts for about another 10 minutes or so, but pretty soon, the zoo begins to come to life. Milo is just beginning to sense something is amiss...
Uh-oh. Houston, we've got a problem. Laverne stirs.
She has bed-head and is none too happy with the turn of events. Time to reclaim Mama...
I couldn't get photos of the chaos that ensued because Laverne came over and climbed all over Shirley to bury her head in my lap, which in turn woke Milo completely, who commenced barking about the unfairness of it all. I was his mama first after all.


I love early mornings with my babies, even they are a handful at times. Here's a snippet of the peace and love amongst the beasts, before they begin their war over mama. I can't think of a more perfect way to begin my work week.

18 comments:

kks said...

all i can say is....i know what you mean!!!
such lucky and beautiful goldens...the 2 girls have finally found their perfect place....surrounding you with love!.....
xoxo

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Great post and photos!! I also know what you mean--What a great way to start your day or week--What would our lives be without them?? Very empty!!!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I loved this post! I miss your sweet babies! We've got to get the gang together again! I love love LOVE the picture of Shirley's big brown eyes looking up at you. That melted my heart too! It doesn't get any sweeter than that!

Lots of love from our family to yours!

Me said...

I laughed my way through this whole entire post. The pics of the 3 golden blobs laying on the floor was just too much! I love them so much too. What a great way to start any day! Thanks for the most awesome photos.

Ben said...

I love how those dogs barely moved a muscle while you were clicking away with the camera.

Tracey Axnick said...

Look at these sweet babies... I love this post... there is some Major Lovin' going on at your house. Although I don't believe in reincarnation, if I DID, I would want to come back as one of your Goldens because they live a wonderful life!

Gberger said...

SO sweet, cozy, precious and peaceful. What a loving household you provide for those babies!

Cassie said...

Such sweet little morning faces. Yes, our 2 poochies get me up bright & early too...mostly Hootie,'cuz as Martin Short has said, "the only time he doesn't need to go pee, is when he's peeing." How's your mom doing? I hope she is better now.

Blessings, C.

Dog By Nature said...

Ha, piles of love...what else do you need:)

Adam said...

So there I was...it was early and I was outnumbered. They came at me from all angles and I became fearful of what would happen next. I reach into my back pocket to find the only protection I have is a banana. It buys me some time. They keep looking at me. I don't know what to do next. I'm fearful that they may circle up and plot their next move while I make coffee. I decide that my only way out of this horrible situation is to join them on the floor and act like I am one of them.

She chose wisely, one of them says to the other. I think we should keep her around. They all agree.

The end.

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

We wanted to stop by just to bark you and the pooches a hello and hope you are having a good day.
Smooches, BabyRocketDog and Hootie

Okay dear, where are you? I hope your time away is because you are busy with good things. You should put a cbox on your sidebar (http://www.cbox.ws/) that way friends can leave you random notes when you haven't posted a blog in awhile. Hope your mother is better. X-Cassie

Tracey Axnick said...

Where you been, girly? Hope all is well. Diva and the Rubester say hello. Diva has been in the dog house (come by the blog and see... she has been eating MORE shoes, and leaving her plentiful Dog Toys alone....)

BUT I still love her.

Hope all is well with you and the Fur Menagerie!

amanda said...

Love those goldens... Jasper sleeps the same way at both of our feet... He never wants to be far from us :) Check out my blog for an update on us...(Here's a hint-it involves a white dress in the future, a big party, committment, and happily ever after! :)

Cassie said...

Hope all is well with you. Miss you.

Tracey Axnick said...

Hey there, girly-poo.... hope you are OK..... miss you! :)

Purple Asics said...

wheeere are you?!

it's been a long time.

we neeeed an update, madame! :)

Tracey Axnick said...

Have you been kidnapped?
Or perhaps you and Ed ran off and joined the circus?

Getting a big worried....
perhaps an email? (taxnick at gmail dot com....)

Miss you....

LailaSmith01 said...

It is good to see that they are together....I love the pictures and the video too...They love to sleep it is obvious...^_^


dog pens

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...