Monday, February 1, 2010

B is for Brussels Sprouts- And an Anipals “A to Z” Addition!

B is for Brussels Sprouts, or “BS”, one of my favorite vegetables EVER! (Although you’d be hard pressed to find a vegetable I don’t like.) Now, now, before you go off complaining and whining about how gross they are, just hear me out.

BS on vines of stalks at a Farmer’s Market:


The sprouts are from the same family as cabbage, so they definitely have a yucky, smelly flavor if not cooked correctly. I’m going to sound like Alton Brown here (shame on you if you don’t know who he is!), but the biggest reason why people don’t like BS is because they are not prepared correctly. Whatever you do, DO NOT OVERCOOK THEM.

Glucosinolate sinigrin has a sulfurous odor, and that is what gives the poor sprouts that nasty, farty odor. Gross. That farty smell is usually the reason why people say they don’t like the poor green buds. I assume they believe it will taste farty if it smells farty. Moms all over try to hide the fartiness by drenching the poor perfect sprouts in cheese sauce, melted butter, and what not, and I say to them, “Leave my BS alone!”

I believe boiling or steaming the buds can accidentally overcook them if you’re not careful. Many people don’t take the time to cut an “x” in the center of the stem, which allows for the center leaves to reach a high temperature faster and ensure each bud cooks evenly throughout. If you don’t cut that “x” in the center stem, you’ll continue cooking them, and cooking them, and cooking them….waiting and waiting until the middle is cooked. That takes too long and leads to the aforementioned fartiness. Beware!

BS are sprout buds that actually grow on a stalk, but we usually see just the buds at our grocery stores.


If you can, buy them on the stalk. Amazing flavor! My favorite way to have them is roasted. I make sure to pick out similar sized buds for even cooking, peel off the top 2 or 3 leaves, slice a sliver off the stems, cut an “x” into them, and toss them in a large bowl with good olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. You just want a very, very light coating of olive oil on the buds.

(Hint: If you take the time to toss vegetables with the oil in a bowl first before roasting, you will use waaaay less oil than if you were to try to toss them together on the roasting pan itself. Less oil = less calories. :-)

I roast them at 400 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes, or longer if they are larger buds, and then serve them in a bowl for snacking or as a side dish. When they’re first out of the oven, they are sooooooooooooooooo good!!!! Crispy and slightly salty on the outside, and tender and juicy on the inside. OH MY GOD. I love them this way.


When I cook them for a dinner, I always make about 10 extra because I’ll eat those before the dish ever hits the dinner table for our guests. The outer leaves will roast heavily, so if you don’t like them that way, just peel back the browned outer leaves. There is still yummy goodness on the inside!



Ed gets all worked up when I serve up a bowl of my roasted BS at our little gatherings. He says no one likes BS and no one will eat them. I’m happy to report that I have never, ever had anyone complain about my roasted BS. Except Ed, but hell, he married me so he has to put up with my BS for life! (Bwuhahaha!) By the end the bowls of BS are always empty. Try them this way and let me know what you think!

Anipals on the letter "B"

Hello there Blogistan! Woof, woof, wag, wag!!!....Milo, Laverne & Shirley here. (And Captain Morgan too!) We would like to offer our "fur and feathered" version of favorite foods, from A to Z!

We asked our Mumma if we could participate in A to Z Mondays along with everyone else. It is about our favorite theme. FOOD! Mumma replied, “I don’t know, we’ll have to see how Jen feels about it.” Well, Auntie Jen, how do you feel about it? Prrrrrease!!!???

We missed letter “A” and that would have been perfect for one of our favorite snacks, apples! But, Mumma said we could cover it somewhere else. We dunno what she means about dat, but dat Mumma of ours, she knows like a gazillion languages, so we thinks she will help us write about delicious apples in a "foreign" tongue. Whoa!

This week, B is for Bananas. (We like Mumma’s Brussels Sprouts just fine, but we prefer a banana for a snack.)

Laverne & Shirley: “Sometimes we wake up our Mumma before dawn for one of our delicious ‘naners. We simply can’t wait! “

Shirley: “Yup, yup, my sista Laverne tells me to climb up on Mumma’s bed and “comb” her hair ever so gently with my paws. Sometimes I'm not so gentle cuz me is very excited, and Mumma gets upset because I “scratch” her and it hurt, but she ruvs me and wakes up anyway.”

Milo: “Uhhh, my little sistas are a wee bit nutty. They have yet to appreciate the art of sleeping in late. I much prefer my ‘naners after my evening walk. Thank you.”

Laverne: “Mumma says something called “potassium” in the ‘naners is good for our tummy and our muscles, especially after she and Papa give us our daily exercises. And it has made my waistline come in ever so nicely!”

Captain Morgan: “Harumph. Hello world. I am grumpy. I’m with my Papa, don’t like dem Brussels Sprouts. Yuck. And I never get enough bananas. A little slice while the fat Golden beasts of the house hoard the rest for themselves. I want a whole banana to myself. Someone get dat message to dat Mumma lady. That’s all I have to say about dat.

Yay for Bananas!

Until next week Blogistan….all our ruv and kisses to you and yours.
XOXO
Milo, Laverne & Shirley.
And Captain Morgan (I am a grump, I want my own signature line) too.


____________________________________________________________
Thanks for tuning in to the human and anipal versions of letter “B” today. For more A to Z Mondays, check out Jen’s blog at http://unglazed.blogspot.com/ to see what other Blogistanis are doing with “B”!

Ta ta for now. :-)

13 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

You are so funny.
Cocoa LOVEs Bananas. We can't even SAY the word without her getting excited!!!
Coach and I love brussel sprouts. I have never roasted them though. I'll be trying this!!
I usually slice them in half and saute' them with onions.
I never never never put cheese on veggies, that is just so wrong.

ChiTown Girl said...

I LOVE me some brussel sprouts!!! But, unlike normal folks, I prefer them "over-cooked" and mushy. Your way sounds delish, too. When I come visit, feel free to prepare buckets of them!!

Minerva said...

I love BS too. My local grocery is starting to sell them on the stalk. I was going to buy one, but felt weird having this long stalk sticking out of my cart! Maybe I'll get one next time.

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

BowWowzer and yummers to the anipals A-Z on Bananas. We love 'em too and like any form: raw, milkshaken, frozen. All great for us pooches!!
Smooches from pooches,
BabyRocketDog & Hootie

ps-BS --- not so sure of. Never tried 'em.

Cassie said...

I like brussel sprouts very much too! In fact, even when I haven't eatten any I've been acused of being full of BS!! hmmm. I was a vegetarian until I was in my 40's, so cultivated a taste for many different veggies. I thank you for the instructions for cooking them, as the only good ones I usually have are at restaurants or the frozen Green Giant kind. Now I'll have to be on a quest for BS on the stalk!! X-c
ps-My dogs had to leave a comment for your furrbabies!

kks said...

OMG, roasted sprouts are my favorite! i also add sweet potato slices...have it almost every night!!
hugs to the beautiful goldens!!
xoxo

Karyn said...

First, I love brussel sprouts and those look amazing. Second, I just read your comment of my friend Sarah's blog and am crying. It was so sweet. Thanks.

Ben said...

We started eating brussels sprouts after the kids left the house. They were not in favor of the veggie. We like 'em!
(And Ollie casts a "B" vote for "Bone! Any bone! Maybe Roundsteak with something good stuffed in the middle! Now!")

Jen said...

hahahahahaha!
This was great!
Laverne, Shirley and Milo are welcome anytime to contribute to A-Z since I seen to like their menu much better!

Gberger said...

I did not know that dogs could eat bananas. I knew they could eat carrots, but I didn't think farther than that in the fruit-veggie kingdom. I always thing they are meat-kibble- (and maybe rice) lovers. Please tell the beasts I learned something from them today, and thank them for posting. XOXOXOXO

I also love BS, but avoid them for the smell you described, both before and after the fact. Your roasted version looks mouthwateringly delicious. And your presentation with the beautiful square bowls - fabulous!
You are teaching me lots of new things. Thank you! XOXOXO to you & Ed, too.

Cassie said...

Yes, I'm a weird, yet wonderful kaleidoscope kinda old gal!! I must admit that the elk brat's texture took a little getting used to.Usually just the smell of hamburgers make me a bit ill.I have always cooked meat for my husband and my children when they were at home,but never been that keen at the odor that it has or the way it is to touch.Tonight my sharper image Ionic Breeze is on in the kitchen area taking the smell of dinner burgers out of the air!! (My sense of smell is a curse.)

Cassie said...

If we get over to SD with the beasts we will surely let you know. Haven't made the ocean trip with either of them. Hootie would probably love it.Baby is a bit of a scardey cat/dog. This summer Brooke from DogsWithBlogs is coming to the US from Australia.Wouldn't it be neat to meet up with other dogbloggers? Not sure if she'll hit the West coast though. Sorry so wordy,it's late and I tend to ramble...G'nite!

Unknown said...

Well, I think you are the only blogger who came up with a B vegetable! And of course a fruit too! I love bananas and while I don't like brussel sprouts, you sure do make them look good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...