Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Apple Ark (3 of each, Not 2)

One of my favorite grocery stores out here in SoCal is Henry’s Farmer’s Market. (In some parts of SoCal it is also called Wild Oats Market.) They have amazing produce at the BEST prices, bar none! Sometimes I go to the Vons grocery stores and I can’t believe that they are asking $3.99 for a pound of grapes. WTF!? Last time I checked we live in California, the agricultural state!

Anyhoo, it is autumn. (Even though with the hot ass 80 degree weather we have you wouldn’t know it was autumn. The Santa Ana winds are kicking extra hot and dry this year). Autumn is also apple harvest time. At Henry’s the apples are on sale for 77 cents per pound… and I mean

APPLES!!!


They’ve got varieties I’ve never, EVER even heard of before. There are giant barrel bushels all over the store and it smells heavenly! So, as I stood there wondering which ones I wanted to buy, it hit me, “Why not buy ALL the varieties?” And that’s exactly what I did. I bought three of each of the following types of apples:
Braeburn
Sonya
Pink Lady
Jonagold
Golden Delicious
Red Delicious
Cameo
Granny Smith
Ambrosia
Fuji
Gala
Katja
Lady Pink
Rose
Rome
Pacific Beauty

Why 3 of each? Well, one for me, one for Belov-Ed, and one more in case one of us really, really liked a certain variety. Apples will forever remind me of my sweet Mr. Triangle Face, my Nick, who ended each day with an apple. If he were here today with us I would have bought 3 apples for Ed & I, and 3 applese just for Nick. I miss you baby boy. Hope heaven is full of fresh apples for you.

Ok, stop sniffling KBL.

Aaaaanyway, so far we’ve had the Jonagold, Golden Delicious, Sonya, Cameo, Gala, and Ambrosia. Mmmm-to the Mother-Humpin-Hmmmm!

I love really tart apples with a wedge of good, sharp Cheddar cheese and a glass of dry, white wine. Can’t wait to see which one is the tartest! I hope that wherever you are, you also get to try some of autumn’s bounty. Sooo good! (Oh, and the flyer for next week says that 9 different varieties of grapes will be on sale for 88 cents per pound....OH. MY. GOODNESS.)

4 comments:

HWHL said...

Awwww. That's so cute that Nick loved apples. I'm sure there are apples in dog heaven. :-)

There's a big Apple Festival every October in Ellijay, GA (up in the Blue Ridge mountains). It's great - always worth the drive.

The photo of the apples is lovely....

Me said...

Jeez you went bananas buying all those apples!! I LOOOOOVE Henrys and miss shopping there. Have you tried the Fuji's yet? Those are my favorite (Wrigs too).

Whenever you mention Mr. Triangle face the picture that immediately comes to mind is the one where he's laying on the beach towel looking straight up into the camera with such a soft, gentle innocence in his face. I love that little mug!

ChiTown Girl said...

I've tried almost all those varieties, but I'm stuck on Granny Smiths. I can't get enough of them!! I don't care for the sweet varieties, and Grannies can be sooo tart and sour! Love them!! They make the best caramel apples, and I make an incredible taffy apple salad with them. YUM!!!!

Gberger said...

I love apples, too, especially with French cheese, or with peanut butter (or caramel) as a dip. If you ever have a chance to try a Macoun, that's an apple I still recall, after eating one over 20 years ago! I tried them when I lived in Boston, and haven't seen one since, sadly. Unforgettable flavor, crisp and not too sweet.

My parents have a couple of little trees, and I made two apple cobblers last week. Yum! Hooray for autumn!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...