Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tune in Thursday - Rachid Taha

I woke up this morning to learn of Iran declaring itself a “nuclear state” and of the celebration for its Islamic Revolution. 3 decades of a “revolution” most Iranians see as a nightmare visited upon them.

We lived in Iran when Ayatollah Khomeini led the revolt “for Islam,” and then proceeded to mass murder and imprison thousands of innocent people for their anti-revolutionary ways. One was a pregnant woman who refused to put on her head scarf when ordered to do so. Her hands were full of heavy bags, she was tired and just wanted to get home. Her beautiful belly, full of life and promise, exploded like a watermelon.

In school, we were asked to line up and salute the banner depicting Khomeini’s bearded face. It would drift and sail up high in the wind as it hung from the principal’s balcony. We were told to praise and pray for the Ayatollah. I was in second grade, I asked my teacher why we prayed to a banner of Khomeini, when the Quran forbade us to pray to idols and statues, and to worship only one God? I’ll never forget how hard she slapped me. She was my favorite teacher. I loved her. The blow rattled my entire body and literally lifted me off my feet. How dare I question what Ayatollah wanted? The principal apparently didn’t think I’d been punished enough, so a few whacks with a ruler were necessary. Good times.

Before you were killed by a Revolutionary Guard, he most likely greeted you with “Salaam-Alaikum,” the greeting spoken amongst Muslims, our way of saying hello. It means “peace be upon you.” Some peace those poor victims were given. Many of today’s headlines talk of how Iran is clamping down on opposition to the anniversary celebrations of the revolution. I hope and pray that in their protests innocent Iranians don’t have the government’s version of “peace” visited upon them.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35345722/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

When I left for work, I grabbed my Rachid Taha CD. I wanted to hear a voice, a lyric, an idea, that would ease my thoughts. He is a French-Algerian singer and musician. One of my absolute favorites. He covered an old song by the Arab musician Dahmane El Harachi, and it is called “Ya Rayah.” Loosely translated, it means “Oh Traveler!” or “Oh Emigrant!” It’s been re-done for Bollywood movies as well, if you’re into that genre.

It is an intensely profound song. For its lyrics and music, but also because of the history from which it stems, the history of the struggle and despair of northern Africans during colonial regimes, and their plight after they have decided to leave their homes for a better place. Sometimes that decision to leave home brings even more despair, many tears, and just as much struggle, once the immigrant is in a new land. Often that land is not welcoming. But, they left for a chance at a better life. Even if that chance is on a painful path, it is still a chance. One they would not have had under an oppressive regime.

In many ways the lyrics of this song are not uplifting, but they do create a sense of solidarity, especially for someone like me. Although the world my family entered after fleeing Afghanistan was vastly different from our home, and at times we may have thought better of it, I am still every grateful I am here and not in Afghanistan today. Or in Iran for that matter.

I have many immigrant friends, from many different lands. I’d wager to say that any life we’ve lived here, in this tremendous land, whether as a janitor or as a doctor, is supremely more blessed than any failed chance at life we might have had back home.

I hope you enjoy “Ya Rayah.” The words may be foreign to you, but maybe you’ll appreciate its rhythmic sound. It is a song I also use in my spinning classes and my students enjoy it for the beat (great for endurance mountains) even if they don't know the words. Here he is on stage with his ode to the immigrant life:


And here is the studio recorded version of the song. A true testament of a “real” musician is whether they can honor and recreate their craft in live performances so that they sound as good as they do when computer programs make them sound perfect.


Thanks for stopping by this edition of Tune in Thursday.

4 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Reading your account of how your teacher slapped you literally made me gasp out loud. I'm so sorry you had to endure such a belittling and humiliating episode in your young life.

BTW, thanks for dropping a "cock" in my comments section. It made me giggle like a teenaged boy. :)

Gberger said...

My heart weeps for your painful past, for those who still live under such oppression, and for the innocent blood that has been shed throughout history in the name of truth, or an ideology. It is bad enough to lose a family member to a disease. To lose one to human cruelty would be very hard to endure without bitterness.

I am so sorry for what you suffered. I love and admire your spirit, your gratitude and your honesty in sharing with us here. We need to know. Thank you!

Tracey Axnick said...

This brought tears to my eyes, my friend. You have SUCH a big heart... so many would have turned their childhood pain inside and let them become bitter and hateful but you are so filled with JOY and LIFE... I think you're truly amazing.
I hope you dont' mind, but I put a link to this post on my (BRAND NEW) blog... I want to share your amazing writing and amazing SPIRIT with the (6) people who are reading my blog. And you're invited, by the way. :)

-Tracey (HWHL)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Gosh...I will never ever fathom all that you have gone through and what others are still dealing with daily. Just crazy how dictators work and get folks to follow.

**hugs**

I love that song...very catchy and dance-able. Is that a word? yes, it must be.

xoxo
Suz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...